by Wesley Enoch and Deborah Mailman
Remaining a vital masterwork 20 years after it was penned by Wesley Enoch and Deborah Mailman, this new adaption of The 7 Stages of Grieving is a wise and powerful play about the grief of Aboriginal people and the hope of reconciliation.
In this one-everywoman show, Chenoa Deemal (QTC’s Mother Courage and Her Children, Rainbows End) spins poignant stories of different people from different mobs – tear-streaked tales of tragedy go hand-in-hand with jubilant celebrations of simple survival. Funny, devastatingly sad, politically relevant and culturally profound as it traverses the phases of Aboriginal history, The 7 Stages of Grieving is an invitation to face hard truths, to join hands and grieve. It shares true and personal stories that need to keep being told. And perhaps most importantly, it opens a dialogue about the issues that separate and unite Indigenous and non-Indigenous people.
AUSLAN interpreted performance Saturday June 10 at 7:30pm
Dates and times:
Thursday 8 June at 11am (schools performance plus Q&A)
Friday 9 June at 11am (schools performance plus Q&A)
Friday 9 June at 7.30pm
Saturday 10 June at 2.15pm & 7.30pm
Queensland Theatre and Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe would like to take this opportunity to alert members of the audience that this production and resource contains names and visual representations of people recently deceased, which may be distressing to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. All care has been taken to acquire the appropriate permission and show all proper respect.
Suitable for Years 9 – 12
SCHOOL TICKETS $22 per student/additional teacher (1 teacher free per 20 students)
FROM THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR…
One of the most significant texts of the Australian theatre cannon, and is an ABSOLUTE MUST for all senior drama students, Aboriginal studies students and all those studying Aboriginal Australian contexts in English, History or Society and Culture. This new production remains true to the original but is contextualised for a contemporary audience with reference to the current political climate and personalised by Chennoa Deemal, who spins the yarn this time around.
- USE BOOKING FORM, DOWNLOAD IT OR COMPLETE IT ONLINE All bookings require a completed Booking Form. Risk assessments and education support materials (where provided) are available online.
- SEND YOUR BOOKING FORM TO US Complete online (preferred), fax, email or post your booking form to Riverside Education Fax: 02 9683 3267 Scan and email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: Riverside Education, PO Box 3636, Parramatta, NSW, 2124.
N.B. Please do not send any payments with your booking form. Riverside will confirm your booking and then issue a tax invoice for your deposit. Bookings are made in strict order of receipt. Please ensure you have given a valid email address on your booking form as this is our main method of communication.
- RIVERSIDE WILL CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING Riverside will confirm your booking and invoice the school for a non-refundable 25% deposit. Teachers receive complimentary seating on a 20:1 ratio (unless otherwise stipulated). Once you have paid your deposit, your booking is secure and Riverside will issue an invoice for full payment.
- FINAL PAYMENT Full payment is required 4 weeks prior to the performance date. If we do not receive payment OR proof of your DoE purchase order, we have the right to cancel your booking and you will forfeit your deposit.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS – DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DoE) PAYMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS The DoE takes 30 days from an invoice being submitted to payment being received by Riverside, therefore we MUST have full payment OR proof that the purchase order has been submitted to the DoE no later than four weeks prior to the performance date. This is a new system for many public schools so we strongly recommend receiving monies and permission slips at least 7 weeks before the payment is due. This will allow any final changes in numbers (subject to availability). We cannot reduce numbers after payment has been received.
ALL OTHER SCHOOLS (INCLUDING INDEPENDENT AND CATHOLIC) Confirmation of final numbers and final balance is required four weeks prior to the performance date. A reduction of numbers is not permitted after this date.
An increase of numbers is possible after the final payment day but is subject to availability. Please note, all school bookings made within 4 school weeks of a performance date must be paid in full within 1 week of confirmation and are final. There are no refunds or changes to numbers or dates on these bookings.
- FINAL INFORMATION SENT TO SCHOOLS Prior to your visit, we will send you detailed information via email to ensure you have a hassle-free excursion. This will include updating you on any possible changes to running times or more detailed information as it emerges from the rehearsal process.
- ATTEND AND ENJOY! If you have concerns about meeting the terms and conditions, please email email@example.com or call 02 8839 3308.
STUDENT AND TEACHER RESOURCES For curriculum links click here
SCHOOLS ACCESS AT RIVERSIDE For information on access at Riverside Theatre please click here.
DOWNLOAD A SOCIAL STORY Download the social story for Lennox Theatre here.
Sound and Projection Designer