Smurf in Wanderland is one man’s insightful and hilarious examination of football, tribalism, belonging and identity. David Williams – acclaimed documentary theatre maker, writer and football fanatic – is the ‘Smurf’.
For the uninitiated, ‘Smurf’ is the nickname given to a Sydney Football Club Fan and ‘Wanderland’ is the home ground of the Western Sydney Wanderers. Williams is a long-suffering Sydney FC fan, who frequented Western Sydney Wanderers’ games on their home turf in Parramatta. Kitted out in his Sydney FC sky-blue jersey, Williams-the-Smurf stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the sea of red and black. Instead of fearing for his life he found a beautiful and profound unity amongst the ritual and fierce loyalty of the Wanderers fans.
A must see show for Wanderers and Sydney Football Club fans this is a story that breaks down the barriers of geography and debunks the myths of hooliganism at the football. It tells a tale of loyalty and unity integral and familiar to all football fans.
In conjunction with the season of Smurf in Wanderland we have a wonderful exhibition of photo’s by Eric Berry taken at Western Sydney Wanderers Games. They include great action shots of the players and fans alike. The photo’s are exhibited in our Exhibition wall in the foyer here at Riverside. Check them out while you are here for the show.
Dates & Times:
Thursday 20 April 7.30pm – Preview
Friday 21 April 7.30pm – Opening Night (limited seating)
Saturday 22 April 2pm
Saturday 22 April 7.30pm
Wednesday 26 April 7.30pm
Thursday 27 April 11am (Includes Q&A) & 7.30pm
Friday 28 April 7.30pm
Saturday 29 April 2pm
Saturday 29 April 7.30pm
This production then tours to SBW Stables Theatre Kings Cross 2 – 3 May.
*Warning – this show contains course language.
* Please note – there is a 10 minute lock-out for this show
Riverside Drama Club members – this show is available for you to purchase with your promocode
Director Lee Lewis
With David Williams
Set and Costume Designer Charles Davis
Lighting Designer Luiz Pampolha
Sound Designer and Composer James Brown
Dramaturg Kate Worsley
Creative Futures Participant Nick Atkins
Stage Manager Kirsty Walker
Production Manager Damion Holling
Suitable for Years 9 – 12 SCHOOL TICKETS $22 per student/additional teacher (1 teacher free per 20 students) BOOKING STEP-BY-STEP
- USE BOOKING FORM, DOWNLOAD IT OR COMPLETE IT ONLINE All bookings require a completed Booking Form. Risk assessments and education support materials (where provided) are available online.
- SEND YOUR BOOKING FORM TO US Complete online (preferred), fax, email or post your booking form to Riverside Education Fax: 02 9683 3267 Scan and email: email@example.com Mail: Riverside Education, PO Box 3636, Parramatta, NSW, 2124.
N.B. Please do not send any payments with your booking form. Riverside will confirm your booking and then issue a tax invoice for your deposit. Bookings are made in strict order of receipt. Please ensure you have given a valid email address on your booking form as this is our main method of communication.
- RIVERSIDE WILL CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING Riverside will confirm your booking and invoice the school for a non-refundable 25% deposit. Teachers receive complimentary seating on a 20:1 ratio (unless otherwise stipulated). Once you have paid your deposit, your booking is secure and Riverside will issue an invoice for full payment.
- FINAL PAYMENT Full payment is required 4 weeks prior to the performance date. If we do not receive payment OR proof of your DoE purchase order, we have the right to cancel your booking and you will forfeit your deposit.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS – DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DoE) PAYMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS The DoE takes 30 days from an invoice being submitted to payment being received by Riverside, therefore we MUST have full payment OR proof that the purchase order has been submitted to the DoE no later than four weeks prior to the performance date. This is a new system for many public schools so we strongly recommend receiving monies and permission slips at least 7 weeks before the payment is due. This will allow any final changes in numbers (subject to availability). We cannot reduce numbers after payment has been received. ALL OTHER SCHOOLS (INCLUDING INDEPENDENT AND CATHOLIC) Confirmation of final numbers and final balance is required four weeks prior to the performance date. A reduction of numbers is not permitted after this date. An increase of numbers is possible after the final payment day but is subject to availability. Please note, all school bookings made within 4 school weeks of a performance date must be paid in full within 1 week of confirmation and are final. There are no refunds or changes to numbers or dates on these bookings.
- FINAL INFORMATION SENT TO SCHOOLS Prior to your visit, we will send you detailed information via email to ensure you have a hassle-free excursion. This will include updating you on any possible changes to running times or more detailed information as it emerges from the rehearsal process.
- ATTEND AND ENJOY! If you have concerns about meeting the terms and conditions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 8839 3308.
STUDENT AND TEACHER RESOURCES For curriculum links click here SCHOOLS ACCESS AT RIVERSIDE For information on access at Riverside Theatre please click here. DOWNLOAD A SOCIAL STORY Download the social story for Riverside Theatre here.