By Katherine Thomson
Katherine Thomson’s story about aspiration and reinvention is one of the great Australian plays. Set in Wollongong during the economic rationalism of the ‘80s, Diving for Pearls remains startlingly relevant – the political decisions of that time planted the seeds of divide we continue to witness between those with opportunity, and those without.
With the town she grew up in changing all around her, Barbara is determined to change with it. Dreaming of a way out, she sets her sights on landing a job at one of the new resorts popping up all over town. Meanwhile, her partner Den is having change forced upon him. The steelworks he’s worked at his whole life has been sold and Den must reinvent himself to survive. The arrival of Barbara’s daughter, Verge, just might be the thing that tips Barbara and Den over the edge.
Helpmann Award-winning actor, the great Ursula Yovich stars as Barbara, a character as significant in the history of Australian theatre as Willy Loman is in America’s.
“Katherine Thomson is one of the best writers in the country – it is a real honour to have her words back on the Stables stage.” – Lee Lewis
★★★★ – Sydney Morning Herald
★★★★ – Time Out
★★★★ – Limelight Magazine
★★★★ – Daily Review
An Audio Described performance is available on Saturday 11th November at 2.15pm.
And a tactile tour is available (subject to bookings) at 12.45pm
Dates & Times:
Wednesday 8 November 7.30pm
Thursday 9 November 7.30pm
Friday 10 November and 7.30pm
Saturday 11 November 2.15pm (Plus Q&A with Darren Yap) and 7.30pm
Director Darren Yap
Set & Costume Designer James Browne
Lighting Designer Benjamin Brockman
Composition & Sound Design Max Lambert & Roger Lock
Stage Manager Cara Woods
With Steve Rodgers, Ebony Vagulans, Ursula Yovich, Jack Finsterer, Michelle Doake
Suitable for Years 9 – 12
SCHOOL TICKETS $25 per student/additional teacher (1 teacher free per 20 students)
FROM THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR…
Diving for Pearls is such an important piece in the Australian theatre cannon so it’s great to see it being revived in the capable hands of Darren Yap and the Griffin team. This new version will be an EXCELLENT COMPARATIVE PIECE
to the set texts for both English and Drama students. With its still topical analysis of Australian economic policies, I also highly recommend this for those studying contemporary society in HSIE units.
- USE BOOKING FORM, DOWNLOAD IT OR COMPLETE IT ONLINE All bookings require a completed Booking Form. Risk assessments and education support materials (where provided) are available online.
- SEND YOUR BOOKING FORM TO US Complete online (preferred), fax, email or post your booking form to Riverside Education Fax: 02 9683 3267 Scan and email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: Riverside Education, PO Box 3636, Parramatta, NSW, 2124.
N.B. Please do not send any payments with your booking form. Riverside will confirm your booking and then issue a tax invoice for your deposit. Bookings are made in strict order of receipt. Please ensure you have given a valid email address on your booking form as this is our main method of communication.
- RIVERSIDE WILL CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING Riverside will confirm your booking and invoice the school for a non-refundable 25% deposit. Teachers receive complimentary seating on a 20:1 ratio (unless otherwise stipulated). Once you have paid your deposit, your booking is secure and Riverside will issue an invoice for full payment.
- FINAL PAYMENT Full payment is required 4 weeks prior to the performance date. If we do not receive payment OR proof of your DoE purchase order, we have the right to cancel your booking and you will forfeit your deposit.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS – DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DoE) PAYMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS The DoE takes 30 days from an invoice being submitted to payment being received by Riverside, therefore we MUST have full payment OR proof that the purchase order has been submitted to the DoE no later than four weeks prior to the performance date. This is a new system for many public schools so we strongly recommend receiving monies and permission slips at least 7 weeks before the payment is due. This will allow any final changes in numbers (subject to availability). We cannot reduce numbers after payment has been received.
ALL OTHER SCHOOLS (INCLUDING INDEPENDENT AND CATHOLIC) Confirmation of final numbers and final balance is required four weeks prior to the performance date. A reduction of numbers is not permitted after this date.
An increase of numbers is possible after the final payment day but is subject to availability. Please note, all school bookings made within 4 school weeks of a performance date must be paid in full within 1 week of confirmation and are final. There are no refunds or changes to numbers or dates on these bookings.
- FINAL INFORMATION SENT TO SCHOOLS Prior to your visit, we will send you detailed information via email to ensure you have a hassle-free excursion. This will include updating you on any possible changes to running times or more detailed information as it emerges from the rehearsal process.
- ATTEND AND ENJOY! If you have concerns about meeting the terms and conditions, please email email@example.com or call 02 8839 3308.
STUDENT AND TEACHER RESOURCES For curriculum links click here
SCHOOLS ACCESS AT RIVERSIDE For information on access at Riverside Theatre please click here.
DOWNLOAD A SOCIAL STORY Download the social story for Riverside Theatre here.