By William Shakespeare
“If you prick us, do we not bleed?”
(Act III, Scene I)
Jonathan Pryce, whose accolades include Game of Thrones, Wolf Hall and Pirates of the Caribbean, provides an enigmatic performance in this iconic battle between greed and love. Pryce’s Shylock is not only convincing in its duality but helps provide additional gravitas to Munby’s moving production. This tale of prejudice and destructive self-interest paired with Pryce’s memorable interpretation makes this a must-see.
Directed by Jonathan Munby and starring Jonathan Pryce as Shylock, Daniel Lapaine as Bassanio, Rachel Pickup as Portia and Dominic Mafham as Antonio.
Captured live on stage at Shakespeare’s Globe, London and screened at Riverside.
“Jonathan Pryce is a Shylock of weight and complexity.” – The Guardian
Classification: E – Exempt from Classification
Distributor: Arts Alliance
Dates & Times:
Monday 3 April at 10am
Written by William Shakespeare
Directed by Jonathan Munby
About the Cast
Jonathan Pryce CBE is an internationally-acclaimed stage and screen actor, who most recently appeared as Cardinal Wolsey in the television adaptation of Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall. His extensive theatre work includes Comedians in London and on Broadway, for which he won a Tony Award, Hamlet in London, for which he received an Olivier Award, and Miss Saigon, in which he starred on both sides of the Atlantic, winning further Olivier and Tony awards. Jonathan also won the Cannes Film Festival and Evening Standard Awards for Best Actor for his performance in the film Carrington.
Daniel Lapaine plays Bassanio, having most recently appeared in Other Desert Cities (Old Vic). His other theatre credits include Hedda Gabler (Old Vic), The Winter’s Tale (Sheffield Crucible), The Dance of Death (Donmar at the Trafalgar Studios), Scenes from the Back of Beyond and F**king Games (Royal Court). Daniel’s screen credits include Kathryn Bigelow’s Zero Dark Thirty, Charlie Brooker’s Channel 4 series Black Mirror and Muriel’s Wedding.
Rachel Pickup plays Portia. Rachel has worked extensively in New York and Washington,where her stage credits include An Ideal Husband (Shakespeare Theater Company) and Dancing in Lughnasa (Irish Repertory Theater). In the UK, her credits include leading roles in Sir Peter Hall’s Bedroom Farce, Irina Brook’s All’s Well That Ends Well and Terry Hands’ Twelfth Night. In 2010 she was nominated for a Critics’ Circle Award for Best Actress for her performance in Miss Julie (Rose Theatre Kingston).
Dominic Mafham plays Antonio, having most recently appeared on stage in David Grindley’s award winning revival of Journey’s End (West End, UK tour). His other stage credits include Edward II and Danny Boyle’s The Pretenders at the Royal Shakespeare Company. Dominic was nominated for an Irish Film and Television Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his performance in The Clinic (RTE). His extensive television credits include the BAFTA winning
BBC adaptation of Our Mutual Friend, The Musketeers (BBC1) and Foyle’s War (ITV). His film credits include Shooting Fish and The English Patient.
The role of Jessica will be played by rising star Phoebe Pryce. Having graduated from RADA last year, Phoebe is currently making her professional debut in James Christopher’s Charlie’s Dark Angel at the Drayton Arms Theatre.
$15 per student/additional teacher (1 teacher free per 20 students)
Schools – Please download and fill out the booking form
- USE BOOKING FORM, DOWNLOAD IT OR COMPLETE IT ONLINE All bookings require a completed Booking Form. Risk assessments and education support materials (where provided) are available online.
- SEND YOUR BOOKING FORM TO US Complete online (preferred), fax, email or post your booking form to Riverside Education Fax: 02 9683 3267 Scan and email: email@example.com Mail: Riverside Education, PO Box 3636, Parramatta, NSW, 2124.
N.B. Please do not send any payments with your booking form. Riverside will confirm your booking and then issue a tax invoice for your deposit. Bookings are made in strict order of receipt. Please ensure you have given a valid email address on your booking form as this is our main method of communication.
- RIVERSIDE WILL CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING Riverside will confirm your booking and invoice the school for a non-refundable 25% deposit. Teachers receive complimentary seating on a 20:1 ratio (unless otherwise stipulated). Once you have paid your deposit, your booking is secure and Riverside will issue an invoice for full payment.
- FINAL PAYMENT Full payment is required 4 weeks prior to the performance date. If we do not receive payment OR proof of your DoE purchase order, we have the right to cancel your booking and you will forfeit your deposit.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS – DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DoE) PAYMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS The DoE takes 30 days from an invoice being submitted to payment being received by Riverside, therefore we MUST have full payment OR proof that the purchase order has been submitted to the DoE no later than four weeks prior to the performance date. This is a new system for many public schools so we strongly recommend receiving monies and permission slips at least 7 weeks before the payment is due. This will allow any final changes in numbers (subject to availability). We cannot reduce numbers after payment has been received.
ALL OTHER SCHOOLS (INCLUDING INDEPENDENT AND CATHOLIC) Confirmation of final numbers and final balance is required four weeks prior to the performance date. A reduction of numbers is not permitted after this date.
An increase of numbers is possible after the final payment day but is subject to availability. Please note, all school bookings made within 4 school weeks of a performance date must be paid in full within 1 week of confirmation and are final. There are no refunds or changes to numbers or dates on these bookings.
- FINAL INFORMATION SENT TO SCHOOLS Prior to your visit, we will send you detailed information via email to ensure you have a hassle-free excursion. This will include updating you on any possible changes to running times or more detailed information as it emerges from the rehearsal process.
- ATTEND AND ENJOY! If you have concerns about meeting the terms and conditions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 8839 3308.
SCHOOLS ACCESS AT RIVERSIDE
For information on access at Riverside Theatre please click here.
DOWNLOAD A SOCIAL STORY
Download the social story for Raffertys Theatre here: Raffertys Social Story