Coranderrk is about what might have been.
At a Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry in 1881, the men and women of the Coranderrk Aboriginal Reserve went head-to-head with the Aboriginal Protection Board. Their goal was both simple and revolutionary: to be allowed to continue the brilliant experiment in self-determination they had pioneered for themselves on the scrap of country left to them.
Coranderrk recreates the inquiry. This is both great theatre and great history. It revives the voices of all those, black and white, who fought for a better pact between the country’s oldest and newest inhabitants.
This special production pays tribute to the resilience and adaptability of a people who rose to the challenge despite the odds, appropriating the power of the written word to make their own voices heard.
Note: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander audiences are advised that this production contains images of deceased persons
Dates & Times:
Wednesday 28th June 11am and 7.30pm
We are excited to welcome Uncle Jack Charles to host a Q & A session after the 11am show. Please stay for an opportunity to meet and ask questions.
The grandfather of Indigenous theatre he is also the survivor of a reprehensible government policy, and 10 years ago walked out of jail a self-proclaimed ‘lore’ man.
Read more about his connection to the show here
Main Image photo by Tyson Mowarin of Trevor Jamieson
Cast Trevor Jamieson, Mathew Cooper, Jesse Butler, Ebony McGuire
Director Eva Grace Mullaley
Writers Andrea James & Giordano Nanni
Sound Designer James Henry
Audio Visual Designer Keith Deverell
Lighting Designer Tegan Evans
Costume Designer Brynna Lowen
Set Designers Brynna Lowen & Tegan Evans
Production Manager Sarah Wong
Stage Manager Brock Brocklesby
Suitable for Years 10 – 12
SCHOOL TICKETS $22 per student/additional teacher (1 teacher free per 20 students)
FROM THE PROGRAM COORDINATOR…
Coranderrk is an important story, told with guts by Australia’s leading ATSI Theatre company. Taking verbatim transcript from source manuscripts and weaving it
cleverly into a work of historic drama, the play is an excellent study in DOCUMENTARY THEATRE,
perfect for both S6 drama students, a drama text for
Preliminary English and a supporting text for HSC. Work of this magnitude does not often appear in
school matinee timetabling, so book quickly because we could only
secure one schools session.
- USE BOOKING FORM, DOWNLOAD IT OR COMPLETE IT ONLINE All bookings require a completed Booking Form. Risk assessments and education support materials (where provided) are available online.
- SEND YOUR BOOKING FORM TO US Complete online (preferred), fax, email or post your booking form to Riverside Education Fax: 02 9683 3267 Scan and email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mail: Riverside Education, PO Box 3636, Parramatta, NSW, 2124.
N.B. Please do not send any payments with your booking form. Riverside will confirm your booking and then issue a tax invoice for your deposit. Bookings are made in strict order of receipt. Please ensure you have given a valid email address on your booking form as this is our main method of communication.
- RIVERSIDE WILL CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING Riverside will confirm your booking and invoice the school for a non-refundable 25% deposit. Teachers receive complimentary seating on a 20:1 ratio (unless otherwise stipulated). Once you have paid your deposit, your booking is secure and Riverside will issue an invoice for full payment.
- FINAL PAYMENT Full payment is required 4 weeks prior to the performance date. If we do not receive payment OR proof of your DoE purchase order, we have the right to cancel your booking and you will forfeit your deposit.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS – DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION (DoE) PAYMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS The DoE takes 30 days from an invoice being submitted to payment being received by Riverside, therefore we MUST have full payment OR proof that the purchase order has been submitted to the DoE no later than four weeks prior to the performance date. This is a new system for many public schools so we strongly recommend receiving monies and permission slips at least 7 weeks before the payment is due. This will allow any final changes in numbers (subject to availability). We cannot reduce numbers after payment has been received.
ALL OTHER SCHOOLS (INCLUDING INDEPENDENT AND CATHOLIC) Confirmation of final numbers and final balance is required four weeks prior to the performance date. A reduction of numbers is not permitted after this date.
An increase of numbers is possible after the final payment day but is subject to availability. Please note, all school bookings made within 4 school weeks of a performance date must be paid in full within 1 week of confirmation and are final. There are no refunds or changes to numbers or dates on these bookings.
- FINAL INFORMATION SENT TO SCHOOLS Prior to your visit, we will send you detailed information via email to ensure you have a hassle-free excursion. This will include updating you on any possible changes to running times or more detailed information as it emerges from the rehearsal process.
- ATTEND AND ENJOY! If you have concerns about meeting the terms and conditions, please email email@example.com or call 02 8839 3308.
STUDENT AND TEACHER RESOURCES For curriculum links click here
SCHOOLS ACCESS AT RIVERSIDE For information on access at Riverside Theatre please click here.
DOWNLOAD A SOCIAL STORY Download the social story for Riverside Theatre here.