FORM Dance Projects and Riverside present
SHARP SHORT DANCE 2019
Have you got what it takes? Register now!
Sharp Short Dance returns to unearth the finest young dancers from Sydney and beyond, after an incredible season in 2018 featuring over 50 works.
This rare opportunity allows aspiring young choreographers and performers to showcase their talents in their preferred genre of dance and strive for artistic excellence, whilst performing in a professional theatre under the mentorship of a youth dance expert.
Entries can be up to 5 minutes in length by choreographers and dancers aged 21 years and under. All entrants perform in a heat and a panel of industry professionals invite the best works to perform in the final where students compete for sponsored awards. Award categories include Most Innovative Choreography, Most Outstanding Male and Female Dancer and the Audience Choice Award. Finalists are also eligible for valuable industry secondment (internship) opportunities with leading dance companies.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02-9806 5672
Registration for Secondary and Tertiary Students (21 years or under)
Dates & Times:
Entries open on Monday 24 June 2019 at 9am
Entries close on Monday 21 October 2019 at 5pm
$15 per work
Dates & Times:
Tuesday 12 November at 7:15pm
Wednesday 13 November at 7:15pm
Thursday 14 November at 7:15pm
Saturday 16 November at 7:15pm
Heats Adult $18, Concession $12
Final All tickets $25
Photo by Dominic O’Donnell
SUITABLE FOR YEARS 9 – 12
CURRICULUM LINKS AND RESOURCES
Download the curriculum links here: Sharp Short Dance Curriculum Links
Download Riverside’s risk assessment here: Riverside’s Risk Assessment Details
Download a generic sample risk assessment here: Generic Sample Risk Assessment
Download information about access at Riverside here: Access at Riverside
SHARP SHORT DANCE 2019 GUIDELINES
HEATS ONE TO THREE: 12-14 November 7.15pm
FINAL: 16 November 7.15pm
APPLICATIONS CLOSE MONDAY 21 OCTOBER 2019
Works must be 5 minutes or less in length. The judges will be looking for innovative, newly choreographed dance works
- The piece must be an original work choreographed and performed by persons aged 21 and under.
- Entrants can submit more than one work for consideration in different genres. Entrants must complete and submit an application for each work for a total of up to two works per individual and five works per school. Each submission requires its own form and registration fee.
- All styles of dance will be considered, so long as the choreography is original and the participants meet the entry criteria. The entrant must indicate which heat they would prefer to participate in, however it will not be guaranteed that the work will be selected for the heat of choice.
- Works may contain movable props however; the performer/s is/are responsible for taking the props on and off stage during a performance. Transport and storage of props will not be provided by the venue.
- A USB of appropriately cut music must be provided and given to the sound technician at least 30 minutes prior to the beginning of the technical rehearsal for the performance and collected at the end of each performance.
- FORM Dance Projects will provide a stage manager and a lighting and sound operator.
- There will be a technical run on the day of the heat. Participants must come prepared in full costume with clear notes regarding lighting. If successful, entrants will be informed of their technical rehearsal time.
- Performances are in front of a live audience and a panel of judges. Results and prizes for each Heat and the Final will be announced directly after the performance.
- FORM Dance Projects and Riverside Theatres take no responsibility of any items that may be lost or stolen.
- Video links are requested in Vimeo or Youtube format. The video may be of the full work or a work-in-progress but the selection panel must get a clear understanding of the work’s style and intent from the video.
- Each registration must be accompanied by a non-refundable $15 registration fee per work payable on Riverside website.