Since 2011, City of Parramatta Council has been working to make Riverside Theatres more environmentally sustainable. We have:
- Reduced our annual energy consumption by 30%, saving 337,388kWh each year – equivalent to the electricity used by around 60 average Australian homes.
- Saved about 1,500kL of water each year – more than half the water in an Olympic swimming pool.
- Reduced our Front of House (bar, courtyard, theatres and amenities) waste to landfill by around 70%.
To achieve these results, our actions have included:
- Installing a solar hot water system
- Upgrading to energy efficient lighting including LEDs
- Retrofitting water fixtures to be efficient, including with dual flush toilets
- Installing a new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system
- Eliminating disposable cups and straws
- Providing recycling bins for patrons
- Improving our waste collection and disposal processes
- Recycling coffee pods
Watch this space for details of more upgrades and improvements.
Find out more about City of Parramatta Council’s Environmental Strategy here.