Playwrights Of Parramatta
Playwrights of Parramatta (POP) is creating a community of aspiring and practising playwrights, who are invited to attend a selection of plays throughout the year and meet with the playwrights, director or a dramaturg after the performance for an intimate discussion about the production and writing for the stage.
We would like to invite applications from playwrights in the Western Suburbs of Sydney to be part of our Playwrights of Parramatta (POP) 2019 program. The aim of the 2019 POP program is to create a space for Western Sydney writers to attend new productions and participate in a conversation with a theatrical professional to engage with the craft of playwriting. This process is a professional development opportunity to enhance the POP participant’s creative writing skills.
This is an intimate, exclusive offer for up to 10 successful applicants. See below for eligibility, application form and T&C’s.
About the Program:
NTofP invites POP participants to a selection of theatrical productions at Riverside Theatres. After the show, a theatrical professional will facilitate a discussion about the work. Tickets to these performances’ will be included in the program. Participants must attend the post show discussion to receive tickets.
2019 POP Performance Schedule
|Saturday 23 March 2019||Grounded||2:15pm|
|Saturday 6 April 2019||Every Brilliant Thing||12.15pm|
|Thursday 18 April 2019||Junk||11am or 6.30pm|
|Thursday 2 May 2019||Animal Farm||11am or 5.45pm|
|Saturday 18 May 2019||The Humours of Bandon||12:15pm|
|Saturday 29 June 2019||Girl in the Machine||2:15pm|
|Saturday 6 July 2019||Prima Facie||12:15pm or 5:45pm|
|Saturday 14 September 2019||Comedy of Errors||2:30pm|
|Saturday 28 September 2019||The Sapphires||2:15pm|
|Saturday 23 November 2019||To be Honest||2:15pm|
Applicants must live and/or work in Western Sydney.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to playwriting.
- Successful applicants will be advised end of February 2019.
- Applicants should be available to participate for the Program period, which runs from 23 March to 23 November 2019.
- The successful applicants will need to pay a non refundable $50.00 membership fee.
Terms and Conditions (T & C’s)
It is expected that participants will commit to the following T & C’s and if participants do not, NTofP reserves the right to discontinue involvement in the program. Membership fees will not be reimbursed should this occur.
It is expected that participants will commit to the following:
- Attend a minimum of seven plays at Riverside Theatres from the above dates, including at least two National Theatre of Parramatta productions. Participants are required to show their commitment to the program by attending the required number of events.
- Submit a report if requested, evaluating the performance and discussion attended of a nominated play.
- Successful applicants are required to join our POP Facebook group, for updates and communications. Participants are required to attend the post show discussion. We are not able to issue show tickets if participants are unable to attend the post show discussion.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Applications to the POP Program will close on Thursday 14 Feb 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants will be required to complete the following application to be considered.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Complete the application below or HERE
CLOSING DATE 14 Feb 2019
Please direct any questions about the program to Cassandra Bayley CBayley@nationaltheatreofparramatta.com.au
“Being part of POP was a wonderful experience. It allowed me to connect with other local artists, and gain insight into the artistic processes of writers, directors and dramaturg“. Lana – Participant of 2018 POP program
“Through POP, I had access to theatre practitioners who explained how they managed to develop their works and how they overcame challenges in mounting their productions. Viewing those productions also incidentally has given me ideas for adept use of ancillary elements such as staging, lighting, sounds effects etc… particularly on a small budget.” Summer – Participant of 2017 POP program