Playwrights and Directors of Parramatta
Playwrights of Parramatta (POP) and Directors of Parramatta (DOP) is creating a community of aspiring and practising playwrights and directors, who are invited to attend a selection of plays throughout the year and meet with the playwrights, director or a dramaturg after the performance for an intimate discussion about the production and writing for the stage.
Meet our 2020 participants here.
Please email Cassandra if you have any questions email@example.com
“Hearing from Kate Champion, Lee Lewis and Wesley Enoch was inspiring and validating. Definitely highlights for me!” – 2019 participant
“The greatest take from participating in this program was creating bonds with fellow directors in a very safe and supportive environment.” – 2019 particpant
“Being part of POP was a wonderful experience. It allowed me to connect with other local artists, and gain insight into the artistic processes of writers, directors and dramaturg“. Lana – Participant of 2018 POP program
“Through POP, I had access to theatre practitioners who explained how they managed to develop their works and how they overcame challenges in mounting their productions. Viewing those productions also incidentally has given me ideas for adept use of ancillary elements such as staging, lighting, sounds effects etc… particularly on a small budget.” Summer – Participant of 2017 POP program
2020 applications now closed.
Dom Mercer (Director, Grounded)
Kate Champion (Director, Every Brilliant Thing)
Applications now closed.
We invite applications from playwrights in the Western Suburbs of Sydney to be part of our Playwrights of Parramatta (POP) Directors of Parramatta (DOP) program. The aim of the 2020 POP/DOP programs is to create a space for Western Sydney writers/directors to attend new productions and participate in a conversation with a theatrical professional to engage with the craft of playwriting. This process is a professional development opportunity to enhance the POP/DOP participant’s creative writing and directing skills.
This is an intimate, exclusive offer for up to 10 successful applicants. See below for eligibility, application form and T&C’s. This is your chance to learn from Various Arts Industry Professionals. This program is not the forum for pitching your projects, please see our website pages on ParraPitch and Creative Hello for this.
About the Program:
NTofP invites POP/DOP participants to a selection of theatrical productions at Riverside Theatres. After the show, a theatrical professional will facilitate a discussion about the work. Tickets to these performances’ will be included in the program. Participants must attend the post show discussion to receive tickets.
Applicants must live and/or work in Western Sydney.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to playwriting or directing.
- Successful applicants will be advised at the end of February 2020.
- Applicants should be available to participate for the Program period, which runs from 21 March to 14 November 2020.
- The successful applicants will need to pay a $100.00 membership fee. If you have an income issue, please email NTofP outlining this, for assessment. Please send emails to CBayley@nationaltheatreofparramatta.com.au
Terms and Conditions (T & C’s)
It is expected that participants will commit to the following T & C’s and if participants do not, NTofP reserves the right to discontinue involvement in the program. Membership fees will not be reimbursed should this occur.
It is expected that participants will commit to the following:
- Attend a minimum of seven plays at Riverside Theatres from the above dates, including at least two National Theatre of Parramatta productions. Participants are required to show their commitment to the program by attending the required number of events.
- Submit a report if requested, evaluating the performance and discussion attended of a nominated play.
- Successful applicants are required to join our POP/DOP Facebook group, for updates and communications. Participants are required to attend the post show discussion. We are not able to issue show tickets if participants are unable to attend the post show discussion.