Playwrights Of Parramatta
Playwrights of Parramatta (POP) is creating a community of aspiring and practising playwrights, who are invited to attend a selection of plays throughout the year and meet with the playwrights, director or a dramaturg after the performance for an intimate discussion about the production and writing for the stage.
The aim of the POP program is to create a space for Western Sydney writers to attend new productions and participate in a conversation with a theatrical professional to engage with the craft of playwriting. This process is a professional development opportunity to enhance the POP participant’s creative writing skills. This is an intimate, exclusive offer for up to 10 successful applicants.
“Through POP, I had access to theatre practitioners who explained how they managed to develop their works and how they overcame challenges in mounting their productions. Viewing those productions also incidentally has given me ideas for adept use of ancillary elements such as staging, lighting, sounds effects etc… particularly on a small budget.” Summer – Participant of 2017 POP program
The 2018 POP Program Expression of Interest are now closed. To stay up to date with future opportunities please join our mailing list here.
About the Program:
NTofP invites POP participants to a selection of theatrical productions at Riverside Theatres. After the show, a theatrical professional will facilitate a discussion about the work. Tickets to these performances’ will be included in the program. Participants must attend the post show discussion to receive tickets.
2018 POP Performance Schedule
|Wednesday 11 April||Patrice Balbina’s Chance Encounter With the End of the World – Riverside||6.30pm|
|Thursday 31-May||Stolen – NTofP||6.30pm|
|Tuesday 12 June||A Town Named War Boy – Riverside||7.30pm|
|Saturday 30-Jun||The Girl/The Woman – NTofP||2.15pm|
|Saturday 14-Jul||Letters to Lindy – Riverside||2.15pm|
|Saturday 4-Aug||Hotel Sorrento – Riverside||2.15pm|
|Saturday 22-Sep||Generation 3 (Sleeplessness) – NTofP||2.15pm|
|Saturday 27-Oct||Jesus wants me for a sunbeam – NTofP||2.15pm|
Applicants must live and/or work in Western Sydney.Eligibility
- Applicants must have a demonstrated commitment to playwriting.
- Successful applicants will be advised end of March 2018.
- Applicants should be available to participate for the Program period, which runs from 11 April 2018 to 27 October 2018.
- The successful applicants will need to pay a $50.00 membership fee.
Terms and Conditions (T & C’s)
It is expected that participants will commit to the following T & C’s and if participants do not, NTofP reserves the right to discontinue involvement in the program. Membership fees will not be reimbursed should this occur.
It is expected that participants will commit to the following:
- Attend a minimum of seven plays at Riverside Theatres from the below dates, including at least two National Theatre of Parramatta productions. Participants are required to show their commitment to the program by attending the required number of events.
- Submit a report if requested, evaluating the performance and discussion attended of a nominated play.
- Successful applicants are required to join our POP Facebook group, for updates and communications. Participants are required to attend the post show discussion. We are not able to issue show tickets if participants are unable to attend the post show discussion.
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST ARE NOW CLOSED