We step back in time to the 70s next month to pay homeage to the legacy of Janis Joplin, a captivating woman who stunned fans with her extraordinary performances. To celebrate, we have put together these fast facts about the star below:
- Janis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995;
- To her intimate friends Janis Joplin was known as ‘Pearl’;
- She was ranked #3 on 100 Greatest Women of Rock and Roll, but only voted the 47th Greatest Artist in Rock and Roll by Rolling Stone;
- Born in 1943, Janis died in 1970 of a heroin overdose at 27, joining the infamous 27 club along with Jimmy Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse;
- Her most famous hits include Piece of My Heart, Me and Bobby McGee and Cry Baby;
- Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen penned Chelsea Hotel about her.
Pearl – The Janis Joplin Story comes to Riverside 12 September. Starring Liza Ohlback, one of Australia’s premiere vocalists, Pearl interweaves 19 of Janis Joplin’s hit songs that shaped an era where love was fearless and rules were broken. A must-see rockumentary show for Joplin fans! Click here for more information and bookings.
‘Pearl’ transports the audience into a smoky, jazz and blues club feel… mixed with a good dose of pure acid bohemian vintage rock! This production has an intimate, theatre vibe with a story that is interwoven between the songs, pulling it all together. – LOTL
Pearl – The Janis Joplin Story, delivers in words and music her tumultuous outlook on life, love and being the first lady of rock who loved to get a little dirty! A production that will take the audience on a ‘trip’ Janis would have been proud of. – The Vanguard